Saturday 24 January 2009

Bag packing at Sainsburys for Bridges of Hope =)

Anyone living/visiting/studying/working in the UK would definitely have been to Sainsbury at least ONCE!

sainsbury brings back wonderful memories from first year, when Lucy (my british flatmate also my first british friend ) and her mum drove me there to get our 'first week of uni groceries'!

i still vividly remember feeling so intrigued with its rows and rows of 'foreign looking' goodies.
and the surreal feeling of walking thru the isles with a pair of british mother and her daughter whilst they selected their choice of bread, cereal, milk, crisps, yogurt, cheese, dips.

i still remember feeling lost. what should i get? cheese? but there's so many types i don't even know what tastes good. yogurt? what brand? so many to choose from!

hahaha all these 'nostalgia' only from a day of 'working' there!

Yup, today instead of being a consumer, i was packing grocery bags for customers in sainsbury, Blakeley!

Filling those familiar orange bags with goodies not mine, but strangers!

All in hope of a kind return of a few pennies for the poor and underpriviledged children in Peru, under this newly founded charity organisation, called Bridges of Hope.
Bridges of Hope aims to bring about educational, social and economic change in the lives of the South American communities.
I agreed to help out because I believe the money we raised will be for the good of those children. =)
5hours of continuous bag packing, my back was aching, i was starving, and i was beginning to see stars due to lack of sleep the night before.
i have to say though, british people are a generous lot. =)

I hope my day spent putting people's groceries into bags will indeed make her smile. =)

The lot of us (minus elizabeth and julie ) with our donation pails.

the experience was wonderful, i met many very different characters. Some very kind, others fussy!
one man actually told the cashier off. PLEASE STOP THIS CONVEYOR ITS DRIVING ME NUTS. and he went on about how charlie chaplin has this scene where butterflies and bugs were flying all over him and it drove him crazy. I'm GOING TO BE NUTS TOO IF U DON'T STOP THE DAMN THING. -_-
Whoah. Calm down man. Heheh this man wouldnt let me touch his bags or help him, but I wasn't surprised. Hahah what did u expect? -_-

But it was all fun and laughter for me. Bag packing is quite therapeutic omg i'm so weird. =S
i was challenging myself to do it as FAST as i can, putting everything in a nice order.
Hahahaha I KNOW LA SO WEIRDDD not to mention OCD-ed. -_-
x x x
OH.OH. OH. LAST NIGHT's CNY REUNION DINNER WITH MY DENTISTRY coursemates was really enjoyable. =)
We decided this year we shall all be lazy and not cook, instead go out for a nice big meal in a chinese restaurant.
So we went to TAI PAN for a scrumptious HOTPOT!! ( in malaysia we call it steamboat )
Wah I was DAMN PLEASED with the food man. It was amazingly finger-licking GOOOOD.

We had a wide selection of seafood, meat and veg for a very reasonable price of app 10pds!

Hugeass prawns with HEADS OMG I havent had in agesss. Scallops too, yumm. =)
The soup, for me, is the best part! tomyum, my fav! we had ginseng soup too, which was super good!
I was DAMN HAPPY. Ate SO MUCH.
worry about my expanding waistline later la haha =)

Here's us, dipping our chopsticks for a successful and prosperous year of the OX!

Yup, thats my year! =)
PS. mummy, pa, pt, pw thanks for the cny card! peiyong too! =)










2 comments:

Windchaser said...

Gong Xi Fa Cai!

~dolph~ said...

haha......welcome welcome...*_^ where is my card's pic then??????????haihyo....