Wednesday 10 February 2010

'Special needs'

when 4 year old Lily came into my surgery with mum she was lying quietly in her pram, and I had my head buried in the notes of my patient before.

I looked up at her mum, said 'hello', introduced myself.. and looked at the little girl in the pram who had her head turned away from me.

In my head I thought, 'oh no.. another one of those dental phobic children. who doesnt even want to look at me bcoz theyre terrified.' This wil be 'fun'.'

Mum said to me, ' How do you want Lil on the chair?'

I was puzzled, didn't understand why Lily couldnt come to the chair herself, and said to mum 'Is she asleep?'

When mum picked her up, she was limp, and my heart dropped into my tummy.

Quickly took the medical forms her mum just filled in.. and saw 'Quadraplegic cerebral palsy with visual impairment.'

The rest of the session was a blur. I have no experience in dealing with kids with special needs whatsoever, so I couldn't even get her to open her mouth for me to do a quick examination.
My tutor came in, and forced her mouth open gently, and had a quick look around.

Said to me after, 'you need to be firm in dealing with these type of children. Or you wont see anything but her 'front teeth'.'


.........


Last patient of the day, was 9year old Thomas who came to Ashton 3months ago for a checkup, and had a whole treatment plan drawn out for him by my colleague, for which I had to carry out.

Medically from the notes previously, fits and faints, epilepsy. Last fit was a week ago.

And then as I read on, it says : patient away for chemotherapy, could not attend.

When Thomas walked into the surgery with his granddad, again my heart dropped to my feet.
He was pale, had a tube coming out from his nose and bald.

I quickly took the medical form from his granddad, and it was written in bold, ' BRAIN TUMOUR' recently diagnosed.

When I was washing my hands, I thought of my friend Julie who died of brain tumour, and I was close to having an emotional breakdown. Forced myself to be cheerful, tried to lighten the mood by laughing and joking with him, but he said to me, 'Its not funny. I don't know why you're laughing' to something random I said.

And then there was this awkward silence, and granddad looked so upset it just breaks my heart. He said to me, ' he just had his 3rd session of chemo'.

Did 2 fissure sealants for him as quickly as I can, for I know the last thing he wants now is MORE dental treatment, and sent him on his way.


....


Life is so cruel and unfair sometimes.

2 comments:

~dolph~ said...

hey dear, yea...cp and visual impairment? ok......that's difficult....ohyea, they tend to more likey when people treat them as a normal, yea, just normal human being.....they will like to live life as a normal person (this is what i studied and what lecturer had told us)....:D

ashieBee said...

it breaks the heart when all these diseases kene to the kids. they're too young for all the pain :(( life is cruel and unfair sometimes....