Sunday 10 February 2008

My favourite childhood desert.

My mum, to me, is the BEST cook EVER!
Cakes, cookies, traditional kuihs ( her most popular ones are seri muka, onde onde n kuih ketayap ), most importantly TeoChew Chinese cooking..... aaaah, I miss home + her already. =(

Yesterday I attempted to make my favourite childhood desert, SAGO PUDDING.

Mum used to tell me when I was younger, that this was a desert served in hotels, which always left me in awe.. for the opportunity to dine in a hotel was almost non-existent for our family.

And I always imagined myself sitting in a nice big hotel restaurant, spooning this delicate little decadent desert with expensive cutlery, enjoying every bite. With a tiny bit of imagination, it was an AMAZING experience! =)

The wonderful thing about this desert is how easy it is to make, if you have the right ingredients.
Simple it may be, I feel that the importance lie on the quality of the sago, coconut milk, and our very special Malaysian Gula Melaka. Which is, really, the only 3 ingredients you need.





Being overseas and far away from home naturally makes these goods a serious 'luxury', for there is no place I've heard of freshly squeezed coconut milk, sago I'm not sure if it exists here, and the most impossible to get, I would think, is Gula Melaka ( a kind of brown sugar very popular in Malacca, used a lot in deserts ).


My first attempt to melt this 'sugar' failed miserably, and I wasted an entire piece ( mum sent me 4 ) =( . I burnt it, and it was bitter =( Sadd. =(
But the 2nd attempt was successful! The sugar has this special kind of sweetness like no other, I love it to death! =)

There is no words to describe the rush of sweet childhood memories whilst the tasting the cool smoothness of the sago, with a tinge of sweetness from the sugar,and the creamy saltiness from the coconut milk.




Ahhhhhhhhhh, BLISS. =)




To make things better, are the peanut cookies that cassandra n I made! Y.U.M.M.Y. =)



Rito, hopefully the sight of this amount of food will put me off on the right start and the right mood today! =)

Tooodleedoo!

3 comments:

Windchaser said...

i want peanut cookies!!!!

Grace said...

i had to glance past the adjectives to not get tempted to just run to ur place and snatch them from u

huiyen said...

oOOHhh..i miss ur sago pudding..had my first sago pudding in your house long time ago..hehe..hope its not gonna be the last eh :P