Thursday 20 March 2008

Nothing overwhelms me more than to be in front of the Father, feeling His presence, knowing that He is there and He is listening.

So much has been lifted up in prayer the whole of this month. So much that I've asked for myself, have been granted. I wonder if the people I prayed for felt His blessings. For there were many that I fervently remembered in prayer, time and time again.

It is difficult at times not to doubt that prayer does anything at all, especially when in times of hopelessness and despair. Where is God in these times? Is He really listening? Is He there by my side, when I feel like I'm facing the biggest challenge of my life?

But I have never felt alone, He is always there. A quiet and peaceful presence, but there, nevertherless. It is when I forget that He is there, that I start to panic, and I start to lose faith in myself. It took me 22 years of my life, to come to realise, and to admit this.

People always say, religion is for the weak in soul. On the contrary. I believe it takes alot to stand up for what you believe, living in this world of scientific Gods. When people question your faith, is there a logical explanation? Is there anything to justify yourself besides knowing deep within that it is an experience not easily described? That God is a person present beyond human sight? Sceptics would say, humans make God up, because there is this human need for something superior to turn to when we are desperate. We imagine voices, we claim we see supernatural things.

I used to be very disturbed by these thoughts.Am I lost? Am I one of those people, desperately wanting something 'great' to happen to me, because every single day of my life, I wake up to feel nothing more than ordinary?

How do I know, that when God speaks to me, it is Him, and not my own inner voice?

How do I feel His presence? And know it is Him for sure? And again, not my own imagination?

The journey of getting to know Him and feeling His presence, is no doubt, one of the most difficult ones. But it is one that gives me hope, that gives me the reason to do good. To live my life the best I can, with the people I love. To think, the way I think.


I've always found it really difficult to talk about my faith. For fear, that I would be questioned. For fear, that I would be ridiculed. For fear, that I would be judged. For fear, that I would not be accepted.

It is an uphill journey, but to me, a journey worth living.

The greatest gift my parents gave to me, ever since I was born, is my faith.

No comments: