Sunday 2 March 2008

Mistakes.

Is it an act of plain stupidity and naiveness to shoulder the responsibility of another?

At first I thought I was being unfairly judged, and unjustly treated. Just because I was a student, and HE, was a respected dentist.

But when I saw the patient undergo so much pain and discomfort, shouldering the ordeal of it all with a big brave smile, blaming only himself but not others.. my heart broke.

People make mistakes, but when it is in the expense of causing another human being more pain, are the 'mistakes' forgivable?

Tears pooled in my eyes when both he and his wife hugged and kissed me with gratitude before they left the surgery. Admiration filled my heart when he said he still eats, although only blended food, full of optimism and cheerfulness. And I tried hard not to cry, not to feel so attached, not to feel so guilty.

Many would call me silly, for feeling this way. Senseless, for feeling guilt for something I didn't do. Stupid, for not defending myself.

But really, does it matter anymore whose fault it is?


What's done, is done.



xxx


This weekend was a nice and lazy one, where I spent most of my time lying in bed curled up with my new story book 'A Thousand Splendid Suns' by Khaled Hosseini.

After the hustle n bustle of the week, I love the quiet moments I spend in my room, with the company of my books. =)


And so, another week beckons.

No comments: