Wednesday 4 February 2009

In loving memory of Markus Ng (1985 - 2009)

If there is anything I learnt today, it is that life is too short. Too short, in fact, to be taken for granted.

People come and go, humans live and die.

I remember the first time I met Markus. It was on the bus carrying the lot of us to Perlis, for PROJEK KALSOM.

The bus picked me up from Juru, and by then it was already filled with many unfamiliar faces.
Trying not to feel awkward and frantically searching for an empty seat, a Chinese guy kindly smiled at me, pointing to a seat next to him.

"Here. My name's Markus. Nice to meet you, you are?"

And we hit off very well from then. He spoke to me all the way to Perlis, and I did think to myself, such a nice guy. ^^

Its not every day that you find someone whom you're able to have DMCs ( Deep Meaningful Conversations ) at least not early on in the friendship, but Marcus was one of those people.

He spoke to me passionately about his life, his interests, his worries. His insecurities, his fear, his ambitions. He spoke to me about so much.

He loves music, he loves God. He finds joy in making a difference in other people's life.

We were facilitating a group of kids together in KALSOM, and I still remember how the kids really adored him. "Abang Markus, abang Markus. Main lagu itu untuk kita! " ( and he tried his best to play their favourite songs on the guitar which he brought along with him whilst they sang along ).

I remember singing my favourite praises to God with him, when he was strumming his guitar on the way to Gua Kelam.


I remember this kid Atiqah who was having some problems during the camp. She was undergoing some sort of peer pressure, and her friends were alienating her. She came crying to me every day, and Markus was the only other person who knew.



With whatever sort of life experiences we had with our extra years in this world, together we tried to help her through it.


At the end of it all she was so grateful. She went to her Abang Markus secretly, asking him to translate the letter she'd written for me into Mandarin. And he did it for her so beautifully.


"Xie xie Pei Lian jie. Wo hui ji de ni. Wo zhu ni xing fu chen gong. Wo yi ding ji de ni de ern."

..the letter is not with me now, but this is a small of part of what I could remember..there was more.


("thank you Peilian. I will remember you. I wish you happiness and success. I will definitely remember what you did for me.")



If I am choked with grief right now, I would imagine that everyone that has been touched by the life of this kind-hearted boy would be too.


Life is really too short. Live every second as if it was your last.


As for Markus, I hope he rests in peace with the God he so loved.

3 comments:

~dolph~ said...

Peilian, even I duno him ~ Marcus.....I would still pray for him ~ May he rests in peace..

Life is too short for us to waste...But all of us taking for granted...Sometimes i tell my friends that, we dont know when are we leaving, maybe next second, maybe next hour, next day....do whatever you want to do at that very moment..tell ur beloved that you love them, tell your parents and ur siblings that u love them, hug them often....take care my dear..=)

Grace said...

omg... i was hoping you were just making a sick joke when i saw the title .. while scrolling down the post i tot perhaps there is a twist at the end ... i don't know him very well but enough to know what heart touching passions he had... let's pray for divine comforting for his family..but one thing strikes me.. his passion and love for people is something that we should try to practise too - for a dear soul like that stamps a mark worthy of memory

pp said...

sob sob