Monday 30 March 2009

More cycling?

This weekend was a superb one, despite all the 'self-inflicted' pains and aches! ^^

Why 'MORE cycling', you say? Hahaha once upon a time in Amsterdam my friends n I cycled to this small town in Marken 'innocently' I have to say ^^ without knowing what we got ourselves into.. only to find that we were cheated by some 'Dutch pancakehouse waitress' telling us that Marken is 'close by'! When its actually not =S So guess how long was the whole 'cycle trip'?

Yup a freaking 10hours long. And I don't know how far we cycled, all I know was that it was extremely extremely far.. and we barely had time to stop for fear it would get dark before we could get out of that freaky 'countryside' with only an occasional car at sight.

But every time we (my fellow erm 'cycling comrades' and I) looked back at those times, we always would have so much to say. Experiences, feelings, happenings.. so much to look back at, either with a big smile.. thinking.. ah..what a memorable trip, or the occasional cringe whenever a cyclist cycles by..thinking.. urgh.. yuck bicycles.. never again.

The thoughts that passed my mind, and the emotions that I felt when I was cycling that distance.. 3years ago... I remember so well.

I remember telling myself... you cannot faint or stop.. or give up. Nobody can carry you home. There is no car in sight. Don't put your friends through this worry, just because you feel weak.


And I was chanting those words in my head.. over and over again.. willing my aching legs and extremely sore butt to carry me through.


I reached the point where I felt numb all over. My mind went blank, and I just continued cycling and cycling and cycling. I have never been so determined my whole life. I was determined to finish the race. I told myself I must get to the finish line. I MUST.

The fear that I felt was real, it was a foreign country.. and a really deserted countryside. The wind was blowing so strongly I was holding on to my handlebars for dear life. The sky darkening.. more and more as we cycled.. it did make me panic.. but amazingly with that I found new energy.
Its amazing how fear could motivate people to do things that they otherwise would not/ could not.
When we finally arrived at Amsterdam, it was pitch dark. It was then when my body gave way to the exhaustion.. the used energy, and whatever adrenaline I had left was drained.. and I felt like I could collapse any second. The feeling of not having any ounce of energy left in your body is quite scary.. and I was at the point where my knees couldn't support my body very well anymore, and the only thing I felt was excruciating PAIN all over.

PAIN to the extent of a free-flow of tears.
Yes this weekend I decided I shall 'repeat history' and went cycling again!
Many people have said that I was 'nuts', 'crazy', 'out of my mind' even 'suicidal' hahaha and for me although the journey was quite 'extreme' for a 'non-exerciser' like myself..
It was 50kilometres (32miles) of fun! ^^
Yes there were good parts and bad in the journey... for one the horrible weather in England. It hailed freaking 3 times, rained a couple of times. and we had sunny spells ( which didnt last very long =S)
.. but all I remember from this Bristol -> Bath, then Bath-> Bristol journey, was that the scenery was amazingly beautiful.. and the 'workout' extremely refreshing!



The experience did come with PAIN afterward.. ^^

But I had 2 wonderful friends for company..



... great scenery with amazing photos







.. and another memorable weekend to look back in years to come with a big smile on my face!!!

1 comment:

h.3.l.3.n said...

after i blogged, i read ur blog and i realized we ended our posts with the same last photo.. haha..